NASA Internships and Fellowships
Deadline for Summer 2024 Internships
October 20, 2023
Undergraduate and graduate students that are U.S. citizen
NASA internships in various fields at NASA centers
NASA has developed a single, one-stop Agency system for the recruitment, application, selection and career development of undergraduate and graduate students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines. Students access information about internship and fellowship opportunities across NASA to engage in research, aerospace education and space exploration. A student completes a single internship and/or fellowship application to express interest in up to 15 specific opportunities for each summer, fall, spring or year-long session.
What is OSSI? OSSI is a NASA-wide system for the recruitment, application, selection and career development of high school, undergraduate, and graduate students primarily in science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines. Opportunities for students in other disciplines are available.
NASA Internships are competitive awards to support educational opportunities that provide unique NASA-related research and operational experiences for high school, undergraduate, and graduate students, as well as educators. These opportunities serve students by integrating interns with career professionals emphasizing mentor-directed, degree-related tasks, while contributing to the operation of a NASA facility or the advancement of NASA’s missions.
Levels may vary per opportunity.
How to Apply
Please visit https://intern.nasa.gov/ to apply directly with NASA.
- Register in OSSI by clicking on the Log in/Register tab or clicking on the Student Login/Registration link at the top of the page.
You can also register on your Mobile device by clicking the Student Mobile Login link at the top of the page.
- Create an interest profile to specify your areas of interest.
- Complete an application.
- Search and select opportunities of interest. Identify your top 15 opportunities prior to the end of the application period.
- U.S. Citizen (either by birth or naturalization) is required in order to apply in OSSI to be a NASA intern or fellow. If selected, you will be asked to provide proof of citizenship before the internship or fellowship begins.
- If you have questions regarding your citizenship, please refer to the U.S. Department of State website. (http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_782.html)
- A Permanent Resident Alien (PRA) or Legal Resident are not considered U.S. citizens and are not eligible for NASA student opportunities available through OSSI.
- Pre-college applicants must be at least 16 years of age (at time of application) and a current high school sophomore, junior, or senior. Please note that if a student completes an academic level in the spring, they will be considered the next level for summer sessions (i.e. a high school senior that graduates in the spring would be considered a freshman for a summer opportunity).
- At the time the opportunity begins, undergraduate and graduate students must be accepted/enrolled full-time in an accredited U.S. college or university. Please note that high school seniors are considered freshmen when applying for internships. Before beginning an internship, a high school senior must have been accepted to an accredited U.S. college or university with plans on attending full-time.
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a scale of 4.0. Please note if your college or university does not use GPA, you will need to explain the grading method in the application.
Eligibility may vary per opportunity